After finding a non-name 14”x5.5” snare drum in the warehouse, I decided to rebuild and restore it.
First, we see…
the source drum:
For this, I had to order (mostly from Drum Factory Direct)
- matching set of 14”, 6-lug rims form Reverb.com
- new no-name snare throw-off, from Reverb.com
- new butt-plate, the DW magnetic 3-position model.
- set of Fat-Cat “snappy snares” by Big Bang distribution
lug and screw work
Not only were one side of the lugs tension-rods missing, but two of the ones remaining were stripped or mis-matched. I cannibalized rods and receivers from the 12” single-head (6-lug) tom that I never use.
Then I muffled the loose springs 1/2 cotton-ball each.
Hope to upload some sounds and vids that I took along this process soon !