As you may know, I plug drum triggers into a MIDI sound module in an elecronic-drum-accessory (to my acoustic kit) called The PercussioNeuron.
Presently, the sound-module is an AKAI MPC1000, sampler/MIDI-sequencer/etc. Great unit, but one day, I noticed my MPC1000 was giving me some trouble. Some buttons would false-trigger each other, some were unresponsive, and some some pads would false-trigger the buttons…This made the unit un-unsable live.
TO THE BENCH !
The MPC1k comes apart in 3 main pieces:
- the TopPlate covers the pads/knobs/etc
- the Front-plate covers the CompactFlash drive, internal HD, and headphone/footswitch jacks (for which I built The Shoe to protect )
- The body (containing brains, screen, and the rest).
I knew I wouldn’t need to go any deeper than this. As I proceeded, I found that the FrontPlate and the TopPlate are connected in a tricky way.
First, we have to remove the main FacePlate from the body,
After cleaning all the dust and electrical contacts, let’s check the “after”
Cleaned up and booting up just fine.
Let me know if you have a similar MPC for which you need warranty-voiding service.